Yes, I know. I am looking a bit smug. But I’ve been in quite the sewing drought and it feels so good to have it over. I cut out the Ava pattern back in June, I think. And it sat in a drawer until I finally decided to put it together last week.
And I am so glad I did. Initially I thought I was dragging my feet so much because I wasn’t in love with the fabric I chose. But that wasn’t it. The more I thought about it, the more I wished I had used a lovely Liberty tana lawn I’ve had in my stash for ages. Fear of cutting into such pricey fabric made me hesitate. Enter the mustard fabric. At £2 or so a meter cutting into it didn’t feel so hard. But I fell out of love for it and so it went neglected. But with a meetup coming up I figured it would be the perfect event to finish Ava so I could wear it to. And I did. Just in time.
I struggled putting in that mesh. Man, oh, man. It took three attempts, two hours and a lunch break. But finally it went in and I was so glad that I had saved my Liberty fabric from so much seam ripping 🙂
The fit (only change I made was to add a couple of inches at the waist) is pretty good. Next time I might drop where the bodice and peplum meet by half an inch. For all that feet dragging I sure love my top and look forward to the next one.