My newest blouse is easily by far my best sewing achievement. I almost cried with happiness when I finished the last stitches without any big hiccup. I really worked hard to get this blouse right. During some past attempts at grading I would miss a step and without any proper notes written I usually started again from scratch. Not with this blouse. Oh no…I took notes in a sewing designated notebook.
For my muslin I did the following changes to the pattern, a bust size 40:
1. Added 1 inch to each seam to the back and front bodice pieces (4 inches in total added)
2. Added 1/4 inch to sleeve cap and 1 inch to sleeve width
For my final version I changed the following:
1. Moved the shoulder seam back by 2 inches
2. Shaved off 2 inches from the bodice armscye
3. Lengthened the bodice by 2 inches
4. Left out the lace.
The fabric is a cotton-silk blend purchased on Goldhawk Road during the Fabric Fandango meetup. I first wore my blouse on Me-Made-May Day 27, also my handsome husband’s birthday.
Maybe I lucked out with my calculations and construction but I think I am sold on vintage patterns. The blouse is so feminine and complimentary. And the construction wasn’t as complicated as I imagined it being. I’ve since added a couple to my pattern collection.