Greg loves his Negroni shirt. He appreciated it so much that I’ve decided to make him a few more. And I’ve become obsessed. I want to make the perfect one. Most of my troubles came from stitching the arm sleeves. It was the most sewing step ever. Luckily I used thread that was a very close hue to the shirt so it’s nearly invisible. Phew. Aside from wonky stitches (and a wonky collar, more on that to come) I think it came out pretty well considering I’ve never a) sewn buttonholes b) sewn sleeves and c) successfully completed an Intermediate pattern. Y’all all know about my Rooibos woes. Oy. But enough babbling, take a look at my very appreciative hubbie. He’s the best. *Sigh* You know it’s love when he’ll wear a shirt with wonky stitches.
I found using a stripey fabric really helpful in that it helped me line and stitch the fabric up correctly.
Be wary of accidentally sewing the wrong side of the collar onto the shirt. I totally did that. The top stitches are on the bottom. Sadness. yesterday, I swear I could not stop looking at that damn collar all night. Another mistake I did was when sewing the facing my allowance was smaller than the 5/8 it should have been. I was left with part of the collar stitch showing. What a bummer.
I thought the facing would unhinge me this time around but it only did slightly :). I stitched it once and it didn’t work. The second time was a charm. Well, I convinced myself of that until I saw the stitches peeking out from the collar. But I was too afraid to rip it out and re-do it. When I did so the first time a bit of the fabric got damaged and I didn’t want to risk making it worst.
Some of the things I will have to keep in mind for the next Negroni: 1) Sew a lot slower. A slower speed would have produced neater sleeves, without a doubt. 2) Make sure to put a sticker on the right side of my collar to prevent sewing it on incorrectly. And finally 3) Sew the pocket last. I followed the directions and attached it first on the muslin and it was way off, too close to his sleeve. I had to re-position the markings while he wore it. That worked the best for me.
After finishing Greg’s shirt I wanted to make something up for myself but I wanted something easy and uncomplicated. Gertie’s full gathered skirt was so that. Images of a nice festive party skirt came into mind when I purchased some purple taffeta to make it. Yes! Purple taffeta. If this skirt didn’t work I feared looking like a rejected figured skater. Thankfully I didn’t.
Isn’t she beautiful? Probably the most fun I had sewing something. It came together so easily and fast. So darn fast. I did this baby in an afternoon. When I was done I decided to iron out the hem (my first blind hem, yay!) and catastrophe hit! In slow motion I was simultaneously assaulted with the smell of burnt plastic as I saw part of my hem melt. Yes. Melt!!!
I turned off the iron. Put the skirt aside and sat down on the sofa, mouth gaped open. But I managed to think through my fog and took a play from the J.Crew style handbook and decided to throw some yo-yo’s on that bad burn.
*All dressed up in our his and her sewn garments and ready to celebrate our anniversary.
We celebrated at on of my favorite theater houses, The Old Vic.
If you can go see The Playboy of the Western World. It was fabulous and Nathan from ‘Misfits’ is in it. Such a charmer!
*I didn’t wear the petticoat. I just put it on to see how it would look with the skirt. I preferred it without.