Before leaving on vacation I really wanted to play around with the Sewaholic Renfrew t-shirt pattern and possibly make a maxi out of it. I managed to grade up the pattern but ran out of time and didn’t get to make a muslin. So I settled for another maxi, New Look 6230. I knew it would fit being a plus size pattern. I love it but I still want something drapey for the summer. Talk about perfect timing. I got home and was pointed to (thanks Joanne!) Four Square Walls blog and saw a tank version of the Renfrew. So much better than the sleeved version I had in my head. And Andrea offered some great advise for binding the sleeves: use the neckband! Genius. With that info in mind I went ahead and made my maxi.
I added a total of 4 inches to the size 16 bodice (1 inch to each pattern edge) and left the neckband pattern piece alone since it didn’t need any adjustments. From shoulder to hem the dress measures about 54 inches. Next time I’ll add a wee bit more to the length.
I used some 4-way stretch jersey and found it hard to work with. A lot of my trouble came from inexperience. I’ve never worked with knit before and it took me some time (an hour?) to figure out the right settings for my machine. The pattern calls for stable knit fabric but since I was just doing a test run I went for it. I used some yummy red remnant fabric I bought ages ago at Rolls and Rems.
The fit is spot on so I am definitely ready to get going on a few more maxis. I have yet to test out the entire t-shirt pattern so that’s coming up too!
“But today is Tuesday,” you may say. Yes, that is true. But yesterday was one of the best Mondays I’ve had in a while. It began with me finishing up my final Darling Ranges Dress. I didn’t have enough of the blue linen that I wanted to use so I substituted it with a flowery one from my stash. I bought the floral linen ages ago so I’m glad it finally got used. Lowering the darts fixed the bagginess in the bust, the main issue in my last muslin. Why hadn’t I done that initially? Bad, Mela.
Here’s a preview*:
After working on Darling I decided to check my email and I was thrilled to find one from Flossie Teacakes letting me know that I won her giveaway!
I’ve been drooling over this dress ever since Colette Patterns announced their new patterns last week. I was well tickled that I won.
Quite buzzed over finishing Darling and winning a new pattern I got started on a maxi dress. A maxi wasn’t part of my island-inspired-sewing list but I’ve learned that my lists are more of a guide. I like coloring outside of the lines too much to follow them to the letter. With that said, I think I may swap out some of the button garments on the list for other dresses. I forget how long, and nerve-wracking, to make button holes can be until I am sat there doing them…with my heart in my stomach waiting for the needle and stitches to go nuts. Well anyhow…here’s my maxi.
So yeah. I had a great Monday. And Tuesday isn’t looking too shabby either. I got my yarn in the post today so I can get started on Gail and Jo’s Miette knit-along. Giddy-up now!
Hope everyone is having a great start to the week as well!
*I’ll model my vacation garments during Me-Made May